Dental veneers can be an important tool for improving the appearance of your smile. A dental veneer is a thin layer of restorative material placed over a tooth surface to improve the look of a tooth or to protect a damaged or discoloured tooth. They are an excellent choice if you want a long-lasting option that makes a big impact.
Why choose a Veneer?
Here are some of the most common reasons why a veneer might be a good choice for you:
- Restoring a single tooth that may have become fractured or discoloured
- Filling in spaces caused by small teeth that might not otherwise be easily closed by orthodontics
- Replacing teeth that have worn away at the edges, resulting in a prematurely aged appearance
- Covering teeth that are either crooked or badly positioned
- As an alternative to orthodontics (teeth straightening, such as braces and retainers)
There are different materials we use to create a veneer. You can choose between a composite resin or ceramic veneers, which are made out of porcelain and provide the most realistic appearance. Depending on which material you opt for, the veneers will either be made using a comprehensive model of your teeth in a dental laboratory and bonded to your teeth by a dentist or directly placed and built up in the mouth like a filling. Providing you look after your veneers, they can last between 10 and 15 years.
Please note, veneers require an amount of preparation for your existing teeth, which means that the process is not reversible.