DENTAL EMERGENCIES AND CALL OUTS
Illume is part of a rota comprising a number of local dental practices in the Cheltenham, Bishops Cleeve, Winchcombe and Tewkesbury area, which provides on-call services for dental emergencies at weekends and Bank Holidays.
During the week, in the evening you will have access to Illume dentists for emergency advice.
Dental emergencies amongst our regular clients are generally rare but in the unfortunate event of requiring emergency advice or treatment the on-call rota can be accessed by calling our normal practice number, 01242 522230 and following directions to access the on-call dentist.
What is a Dental Emergency?
It may be helpful to list the kind of problems which constitute a dental emergency requiring attendance at the emergency facilities of the on-call dentist.
Typically a dental emergency would be one of the following:
- Acute sudden onset pain not responding to normal painkilling medication
- Bleeding from an extraction site which cannot be stopped with normal home applied measures
- Rapidly increasing swelling in the face or neck, especially if it is both sides
- Traumatic injury – a blow to the face or jaws resulting in tooth damage or displacement (severe trauma possibly resulting in fracture of facial bones should be seen at A&E)
- The purpose of the Emergency On-call Rota is to provide advice, emergency care to stabilise your condition and help control pain. General dental treatment required as a result of the emergency is not provided by the on-call dentist and clients return to their regular dentist for this
Illume Member Clients
For all our clients in Membership (your monthly payment Membership administered by DPAS) the fee for emergency call-out when required is covered by the Request for Assistance. It works as follows:
- A call is made to Illume, and you will be directed to the on-call dentist emergency number.
- If an emergency call-out is required, then you will be directed to the appropriate location and time.
- You attend the emergency facility for advice and emergency treatment if required.
- You are not required to pay the call out fee, and instead will be asked to complete a DPAS Request for Assistance form. For this you will require your DPAS Membership number. Please note, without proof of Membership you will be asked to pay the call-out fee to the on-call dentist.
Non Member Clients
For clients who have not joined Illume Membership (monthly payment system) you will be required to pay for the call-out and emergency treatment if required.
Download this page as a PDF
The fee payable to the on-call dentist is £135.